The abandoned village of Jabloneček
In the part of Ralsko - abandoned village of Jabloneček, the first three years of the festival took place (2016-2018). Only a few places are such a reflection of the turbulent 20th century as Jabloneček - come and experience the recent history.
Out of the original 105 houses, only two houses left. Both once served as schools - one German, the other Czech. And at the places where Soviet missile carriers once stood - a photovoltaic power plant was built. The ruins of houses and church, old fruit trees, remains of a dam and artificial water reservoirs are 'scares' and "wrinkles" that remind us of the past of the village.
In 1921, Jablonec had 432 inhabitants including children (25
Czechs, 406 Germans and 1 person of other nationality). The inhabitants made
their living mainly by farming and keeping livestock. A lot of crafts were developed in Jablonec itself. The most
important one was weaving. The popular crafts amongst women were spinning yarn on spinning wheels,
reed knitting or threading glass beads for the jewellery industry in Jablonec nad Nisou.
The centre of the village was located in front of the German school that still stands today. There was a pond nearby planted with lime trees, and on the hill above the village square, there was a baroque Church of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary. It was said that there was a beautiful view of the surroundings from the staircase. Today the landscape is much more overgrown.
The oldest record of the church dates back to October 19, 1378. In 1398, the church and thus the religious life and development of the village was managed by the Cistercians from the monastery at Mnichovo Hradiště. From 1725 to 1733, the church gained, thanks to the Countess Margaret of Valdštejn, its final form. It was dedicated to the Nativity of the Virgin Mary, which was, on September 8th, always a subject of lavish celebration. The last mass was held on the feast of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary on September 8, 1947. Afterwards, the church was torn down by an army.
55 steps (or maybe even 80) led to the church, and from its top, there was a beautiful view of the whole village. The staircase was partly financed by a local native - father Gottfried Václav Horn. He was a Premonstratensian and a religion teacher. He wished to be buried in the tomb on the eastern side of the Marian Church in Jablonec after his death. However, his wish was unfulfilled - after World War II he had to leave his residence in Mimoň and he found a new refuge in his native monastery in Teplá. He died at the age of 90 in an old-age home.
The German school building was built in 1897. It was a
two-class building with a staff room and two flats - for the headmaster and the
teacher. The school had an educational garden with flowers, an orchard, a
vegetable field and its own school playground. The school was functional until
After the establishment of Czechoslovakia, a new Czech school was built in 1933 in addition to the German one. In 1938, after the Sudetenland was annexed, the school was abolished and replaced by a customs house - the border was less than one kilometre from Jabloneček, and the crossing point was established in the direction of Mukařov.
After 1945, the Germans were displaced and the village abandoned. In the years 1947-1951, a military training area Ralsko was gradually established, being functional until 1991. After the arrival of the Soviet troops in 1968, the site for mobile-strategic carriers of long-range missiles was set up in Jabloneček and mainly in Chlum. Although the missiles were provided with provisional-conventional warheads, in a moment of a war, they could be replaced by nuclear ones within two hours. The nuclear warheads were stored in a near-by Jezová. The former village gradually became one of the most guarded places in the area.